Tag Archives: us expatriate tax

US Expatriate Tax Returns

I am an American living and working abroad. Do I need to file US expat taxes?

If you are a US Citizen or Green Card holder and have a world-wide income, as a rule, you may be required to file US expat taxes. This does not mean that you will owe money to the US Government; in fact the US Government is reasonably generous to US Citizens abroad – allowing you to exclude $97,600 of your foreign earned income for 2013, and $99,200 for 2014. There are also a number of Tax Treaties with foreign Governments designed to help you avoid being “double taxed,” meaning that the money you pay to the foreign government for income tax will offset what you would need to pay to the US Government.

Click anywhere to go to website.